CBD drinks are increasingly popular thanks to the nationwide legalization of CBD in 2018. You’ve probably seen them in stores, bars, restaurants, and online retailers. Beverages are a delicious, refreshing way to experience the holistic benefits CBD has to offer.
CBD is not intoxicating, making it a perfect addition to any drink, any time, anywhere. From your morning coffee to your final nightcap, CBD can take your beverages to new heights. Read on as we break down the ingredients and effects of CBD drinks. We’ve even got some easy home recipes for you to try!
What Are CBD-infused Drinks?
Take any beverage you can think of, infuse it with CBD, and boom! You’ve got a CBD drink. In case you’re unfamiliar with CBD (we’re assuming you’re familiar with drinks), here’s a simple breakdown for you.
CBD (short for cannabidiol) is a chemical compound found in cannabis plants. CBD should not be confused with Delta 9 THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana that gets you “high.” This cannabinoid has no intoxicating effects, but it offers a wealth of wellness benefits, which we will discuss shortly.
How Do CBD Drinks Work?
CBD works by interacting with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in your endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system regulates many physical processes, including sleep, mood, memory, sensitivity, digestion, and immune response. CBD supports the ECS, helping it perform its vital functions.
Are CBD Drinks Legal?
Yes. CBD has been federally legal in the United States since 2018. You can buy CBD beverages in all 50 states, though some place their own regulations on CBD sales. It helps to research your local cannabis laws before purchasing any CBD products.
The 2018 Farm Bill states that CBD is legal as long as it comes from hemp plants. A hemp plant is any cannabis plant that contains 0.3% Delta 9 THC or less. If a cannabis plant exceeds that threshold, it is considered marijuana, which is federally illegal. Marijuana-derived CBD is illegal as well. Here at Hollyweed, we only use hemp CBD, so you can relax with total peace of mind.
What Are the Benefits & Effects of CBD Drinks?
Potential benefits of CBD include:
- Relief from aches and muscle tension
- Physical and mental calm
- Better sleep
- Improved digestion
- Positive mood
- Freedom from nervousness and racing thoughts
One reason some people prefer CBD to Delta 9 THC is the minimal side effects. Delta 9 often causes paranoia, couch lock, and brain fog. With CBD, you get none of those adverse effects. There are just a few mild side effects you may experience:
- Dry mouth
- Change in appetite
These side effects are rare, and the few who do experience them generally report them passing quickly. CBD carries no risk of addiction or overdose. Since it is not intoxicating, you can sip on a CBD drink anytime you like and continue with your daily routine, uninhibited.
What Types of CBD Drinks Are There?
As we mentioned before, you can add CBD to any beverage. Just search CBD-infused drinks online and see how many results pop up. You’d need multiple lifetimes to count all the options. It just goes to show how versatile CBD is and how many people want to experience its beneficial effects.
Popular CBD beverages include seltzers, energy drinks, smoothies, and cocktails. The market is constantly expanding, so who knows what bold cannabinoid creations will appear in the future? For now, CBD drinks tend to carry a high price tag, but you can give your wallet a break by making your own CBD drinks at home!
Are CBD Drinks Easy to Make At Home?
Absolutely! Anyone can make their own CBD-infused drinks at home. All it takes is some CBD oil, which you can get right here at Hollyweed.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is a tincture made from hemp extract and hemp seed oil. We’ve already discussed the benefits of CBD, but did you know hemp seeds are a superfood in their own right? It’s true. Hemp seed oil is packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and plant-based protein, as well as essential omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.
Hollyweed’s CBD oil is made with a solvent-free CO2 extraction process to obtain the purest and most potent product. Add it to any beverage you like to make a homemade CBD drink. Here’s a pro tip for you: oil and water don’t mix naturally, so be sure to thoroughly mix your drink. If you set your cup down for a while, the CBD oil may start to settle at the bottom, so give it a quick stir before your next sip.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Add to My Drink?
The optimal dosage for CBD varies from person to person based on factors like your metabolism and why you want to take CBD in the first place. To find your ideal dose, check out our CBD dosage calculator.
We generally recommend taking 0.25-0.50 mg of CBD oil per pound of bodyweight. So, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should add 40-80 mg of CBD oil to your drinks. We recommend starting with a small dose. You can always add more if you feel the need.
Easy CBD Drink Recipes
Ready to flex your mixology skills? Here are three simple drinks that you can make using Hollyweed’s premium CBD oil.
Blood Orange and Strawberry CBD Smoothie
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preferred dose of CBD oil (refer to the previous section)
- 2-4 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients except for the ice cubes into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the ice cubes to the blender and puree until crushed. Add more blood orange juice if necessary to achieve the desired texture.
- Pour into a glass and serve. Want to zhuzh it up a little? Garnish with a slice of blood orange and a sprig of fresh mint.
CBD Chai Latte
- 2 bags of chai tea
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg (preferably fresh)
- Preferred dose of CBD oil
- Pour the boiling water into a heat-proof mug or bowl. Add the tea bags and steep for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk until warm. Add the honey/maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- Discard the tea bags and add the tea to the saucepan along with the warm milk mixture.
- Add the CBD oil and whisk vigorously to combine.
- (Optional) Use a frother or immersion blender to mix the CBD drink until frothy.
- Pour into a mug and serve. Garnish with cinnamon and nutmeg for added flair.
Peach-Ginger CBD Seltzer
For the peach-ginger simple syrup:
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For assembling the drinks:
- Sparkling water
- Preferred dose of CBD oil
- Start by making the peach-ginger syrup. Add the water, sugar, and peach slices to a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Use a muddler or potato masher to mash the peaches into a pulp.
- Add the ginger and place the saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer you simmer the mixture, the more concentrated your syrup will be.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool to room temperature. The syrup will keep in the refrigerator for a week.
- To assemble your drink, pour sparkling water into a glass. Add the CBD oil and stir to combine.
- Add peach-ginger syrup to taste. Make your CBD drink as strong or as mild as you’d like. Give it one more vigorous stir and serve.
What To Look For When Buying CBD Drinks From Stores
Anytime you’re shopping for CBD beverages, keep an eye out for the following:
- Natural Ingredients: Some CBD brands use artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives to cut manufacturing costs. We highly discourage this practice. That’s why all Hollyweed products are made with organic hemp extract and plant-based ingredients.
- Domestic Hemp: Another way companies cut costs is by importing hemp from other countries. Internationally-grown hemp may not be subject to the same regulations as industrial hemp in the United States. It might even exceed the legal limit of 0.3% Delta 9 THC.
CBD beverages are also available from online retailers. An advantage of shopping online, besides the obvious convenience, is access to further information like lab results and customer reviews.
- Lab Test Results: We have all our CBD products tested by third-party labs. They screen for potency and ensure there are no harmful contaminants or chemical pesticides. These results are called Certificates of Analysis (COAs), which also verify that the product falls within the legal range of 0.3% Delta 9.
- Customer Reviews: Reputable online retailers make reviews available on their websites. Watch out if they don’t — they might be trying to hide something. You can also find reviews on third-party sites like Google and Trustpilot.
Final Thoughts – CBD Drinks
Now it’s time to get out there and explore the world of CBD drinks. The recipes we gave you are just a jumping-off point. You can add Hollyweed’s CBD oil to any beverage you want, so let the creative (and fruit) juices flow!
Making CBD drinks is so easy anyone can do it! Best of all, you can customize them to fit your own unique tastes. If you choose to buy pre-made CBD drinks, check the labels to make sure they contain all-natural ingredients and domestically-grown hemp. The only question left is, which CBD drink will you try first?