CBD gummies are topping the charts as the hottest CBD products across the globe. With all the enjoyment of snacking on a delicious Flintstone vitamin gummy, you get to enjoy the perks of CBD too! So it seems that the question is obvious: how long do these CBD gummies last? And how many should you consume?
Unless these gummies contain THC, they should not get you intoxicated and are free from any side effects. With just a handful of gummies, you can manage several ailments ranging from unease, restlessness, general joint and muscle aches, and so much more.
What Are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are chewy and sweet treats imbued with cannabidiol (CBD). CBD is one of many non-intoxicating and naturally occurring cannabinoids extracted from the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids are best described as compounds that offer various beneficial effects and interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS)
The ECS is in all mammals and is an essential part of the human body in how it maintains cognitive and physical function and health. Our ECS plays a vital role in providing balance (homeostasis) to all of our major body systems and fine-tunes most of our body’s essential functions. Here is a breakdown of the benefits CBD can have on the ECS:
- Stable appetite and digestion
- Sleep regulation
- Eases joint and muscle discomfort
- Boosts mood
- Decreases negative thoughts
CBD promotes homeostasis, which, in turn, ensures that all parts of the body are working in harmony with one another.
Full Spectrum vs. Broad Spectrum
Full Spectrum products generally include all of the other various cannabinoids found inside hemp. Some CBD gummies utilize CBD isolate (pure CBD with no other cannabinoids) for infusion, while others use “full-spectrum” CBD oil. The downside of full-spectrum CBD products is that they contain more THC (the cannabinoid responsible for the feeling of intoxication induced by marijuana) than some consumers desire.
Enter Broad spectrum CBD. Broad spectrum is another variation of CBD products commonly sold in gummies and beyond. With broad spectrum, you get the same CBD profile as full spectrum CBD — broad spectrum CBD products still contain terpenes, flavonoids, and other cannabinoids — without any THC.
CBD gummies are an enjoyable and discreet way of consuming CBD. They are also simple enough to insert into your daily routine with a minimal amount of adjustment!
What Are The Effects of CBD Gummies?
The cannabis plant has always been used for much more than recreational purposes. Specific compounds found in the hemp plant are responsible for various effects on the mind, body, and spirit.
In addition to the benefits listed above, CBD gummies come jam-packed with various other positive effects, some of which are listed below for your convenience:
- Improved Sleep. One study from Colorado conducted in 2019 determined that most participants with sleep troubles demonstrated improved sleep. In addition, another study found that a 160 milligram (mg) dose of CBD can potentially improve the quality of sleep in individuals who suffer from chronic restlessness.
- Tasty Flavor. While the naturally earthy flavor of CBD is not necessarily unpleasant, it is simply not for everyone. For individuals with a sweet tooth or those who prefer to avoid the taste of the plant altogether, CBD gummies are an excellent choice! Available in multiple fruity flavors, CBD gummies make taking your daily supplements a delightful experience.
- Simple Dosing. Since the arrival of gummies and other candy-adjacent products onto the CBD scene, dosing has become significantly easier, as CBD oil gummies usually come pre-dosed! Perhaps as you begin regularly using your CBD gummies, you find that you’d prefer a more potent effect; your dose can steadily increase with ease — one gummy at a time!
Are CBD Gummies Legal?
Yes! CBD Gummies are completely legal. All hemp-derived CBD products, so long as they contain 0.3% THC or less, are federally legal, thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill. Though, individual states still maintain the right to implement their policies and legislature concerning the legality of CBD as they wish.
How Long Do The Effects of CBD Gummies Last?
CBD gummies are the perfect way to relieve physical tension, worry, nervousness, and even body aches. Because they’re edibles, their effects should last longer than other CBD-infused products.
The effects of CBD gummies can generally last for anywhere between 4-6 hours. But because the effects of CBD may vary from one individual to another, this time frame can often be highly inconsistent. Therefore, to answer how long CBD gummies last, you’ll need to consider the following factors.
- Metabolism – The process by which our bodies absorb nutrients depends completely on our metabolisms. If you are one of those lucky folks whose body processes food relatively quickly, you will likely feel the CBD’s effects faster. On the flip side, people with a slow metabolism may take longer to break the gummies down, but the effect will likely last longer than it will for those with a faster metabolism.
- When you consume the gummies — The time you consume your CBD gummies will be a critical factor in determining how long their effects will last. People often prefer to eat their gummies on an empty stomach as they’re likely to kick in faster, prolonging the effect. If you happen to eat them after you’ve just had a big meal, your digestive tract will most likely take longer to break them down before absorbing CBD elements.
- The potency of the gummies — CBD gummies are full of various concentrations of cannabidiol. The effects are likely to last longer if the gummies you take have a higher concentration of CBD. It is always essential that you carefully read the label before purchasing CBD gummies. We suggest that you always opt for the trusted brands for the best results, even if they cost you a bit more.
CBD Oil vs. CBD Gummies
Both CBD oil and CBD gummies provide a completely different experience since you use them in different ways. Ingesting CBD oil is a discrete and practical way of getting all the rich benefits of CBD quickly and easily. But eating a CBD gummy feels like giving yourself a little sweet treat of delicious candy to get your daily dose of CBD. Many people love the fun and novel feeling that taking CBD gummies has.
Again, CBD oil is a versatile way to take CBD. One way to take CBD oil is to drop your desired dose in your mouth, similar to taking a liquid supplement. Many avid CBD consumers take CBD oil daily and love how convenient and fast it is to use in this way. In addition to taking CBD oil as is, you can infuse your CBD oil into any number of foods or drinks. For example, put your CBD oil in your morning smoothie or coffee or mix it into a soup!
CBD Gummies Shelflife
Like other types of CBD products, CBD gummies can degrade and change over time. So, exactly how long can you expect them to last? And what can you do to help?
While the shelf life of CBD gummies ranges from one to two years, proper storage conditions can assist in extending this as much as possible. Storing products indoors in cool, dark, and safe environments is the best way to achieve this goal.
There are, as in most things in life, several factors to consider:
- When and where you purchase your product.
- What sort of alternative ingredients exist within the product.
- How often do you consume your gummies.
Each of these factors will impact how you buy your CBD products and how you store them. Be aware of the adverse effects resulting from a spoiled or expired product. No matter what storage choices you make, educating yourself about what to look out for can save you lots of time, money, and hassle.
Tips to extend CBD shelflife
Once your CBD gummies reach you, you can do many things to properly store CBD in a way that extends its shelf life. Typically, one year is a good yardstick for how long CBD oil lasts. Keeping CBD products beyond this period may not cause them to go bad. But, any CBD oil bottle or CBD gummy package kept past this date should probably be disposed of sooner rather than later.
Below is a list of some CBD tips that may affect its use for going past the 12-month date:
- Exposure to heat will break down your oil over time, so store your CBD oil at a cool temperature to keep the oils effective for longer.
- Sunlight is destructive when it comes to these products, so avoid storing them in direct sunlight. Try to store your CBD in a dark place like a cupboard or drawer.
- Use air-sealed containers. Air-tight containers keep CBD products fresh for extended periods. Prolonged exposure to air will damage your CBD.
CBD Oil can remain useable for a very long time. So we highly recommend keeping it in a cool, dark place at room temperature.
What To Look For When Shopping For CBD Gummies
Pay attention to the various additives that might come in gummies, like preservatives and artificial ingredients. The ideal CBD gummy is made with natural flavoring, real sugar, organic and non-GMO ingredients. If you’re vegan or have allergies, look for products that match those needs.
Final Thoughts – How Long Do CBD Gummies Last
So, how long do CBD gummies last? The truth is, it depends; gummy shelflife depends on many variables. So, the short answer is that it differs for every person.
Gummies and other edibles last longer because they travel through the digestive system. Thus, individuals with fast metabolisms may not reap many benefits from them. It’ll be up to you to experiment with different products and dosages to find out what works best for you and your body.